All good things must come to an end, and my monthly challenge to stay on a plant based diet is over.
In all honesty, whilst I gave it a go, I’m glad its now over.
I’ve now taken the decision to go Vegetarian for the remainder of the year, as well, its something to do. But while I’m convinced that I wont miss meat, missing out on fish and eggs is a step to far… so I guess I am going to be a pescetarian.
1.a person who does not eat meat but does eat fish.
“no red meat, my family are pescatarians”
So heres what I got from switching to a vegan diet:
- More appreciation of food, what it contains and where it ultimately from.
- Forced to try more varied recipes
- Feel healthier, no chronic indigestion.
- Feel like I’m making a positive if not small contribution to the global environment.
- Other peoples pre-conceptions about being vegan providing an opportunity to address the misconceptions.
The downsides of going vegan:
- Missing the social interaction of eating food together with the family, as I prepare and eat my own menu.
- Other peoples pre-conceptions about being vegan leading to constant haranguing from Friends, colleagues and even family!
- 3 teeth fell out, although unsure whether this was complete coincidence or directly attributable.
I’ll see how long I can maintain this diet choice for and record the positive/negative effects.
Please share your experiences of living on a vegan / vegetarian or pescetarian diet and how you have found it…?